JOINING AS A STUDENT MEMBER
STUDENT MEMBERS are working towards qualifications that will ultimately enable them to join as Full members. We ask all Student applicants to provide evidence of the qualification they are studying towards to ensure it meets our minimum requirements for Full membership. If you already hold a Level 3 qualification then you may also want to consider joining as a Level 3 Therapist.
Eligible qualifications might include:
- a Level 3, 4 or 5 qualification in Sports Massage Therapy from an Awarding Organisation (VTCT, ITEC, Active IQ) accredited by the QCF/RQF national framework for qualifications that meets the SMA's minimum standards for delivery - please read our stance on intensive courses for more information about this.
- the Certificate in Advanced Clinical Massage Therapy or the BTEC Level 6 Diploma in Advanced Clinical Massage & Sports Massage as delivered by Jing Advanced Massage Training
- a degree course from an SMA-accredited university
- the BTEC Level 5 course run by NLSSM
- a BTEC Level 4 or 5 course in Sports and Remedial Massage or Soft Tissue Therapy
- the Neuromuscular Physical Therapy course as delivered by NTC Ireland (post-2019)
Student membership is only open to those who are studying towards a qualification in Sports Massage Therapy - it is not for therapists who are already qualified and then subsequently register for a degree/FE course in any other modality.